<VV> Economics Re: Regular Gas and Fuel Economy in a 110hp Corvair

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 13:52:15 EST 2008

Let's remember that all the LM Corvair engines  EXCEPT the 95 were designed
to run on PREMIUM fuel.  In my opinion, it's  foolish economics to detune your
engine thereby reducing both power AND  fuel economy just so you can run on
regular gas.  Let's say that premium  fuel costs about 10% more than regular
fuel.  (Here in northern  NJ it's less than 10%)  I'll bet that by using premium
fuel  you'll better your gas mileage by MORE than 10% without having to detune
 your engine (retarding the ignition or adding thicker head gaskets).    If
you really want to save gas, then drive slower or put a 3.08 rear end gear in
your Corvair differential or switch over to EFI and use a wideband O2 sensor
with feedback to lean out your cruising A/F mix.  Or, to avoid retarding  your
spark, you could add a water injection system to eliminate pinging.
    Frank "full of alternatives"  Burkhard