<VV> 2 - 5 year cds

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Jan 4 15:44:53 EST 2008

I learned the hard way that this happens ... I tried to open some CDs
of articles I had recorded for a club magazine I was editing.  The index
came up but none of the files would.  I took the problem to a couple of
local experts and they said the CDs were too old to open.  Everything
was lost.  At that time I was told that pc burners worked differently than
the way commercial CD makers record things.  There may have been
some further explanation but by then they were speaking 'computer-eez.'

Apparently there is no way to predict when the items will be lost and the
only way to save things is to 're-burn' the information onto a new CD
before that happens.  A DVD is something different so I do not know if
there is a problem with them or not.  I have noticed there is some degree
of reverence reserved for those that can say D-V-D the fastest :-)

Pictures printed on paper can be preserved for untold lengths of time by
putting them in a album where thay are out of the light.
Ken Pepke
>Hi Ken, How do you determine the "shelf life" and what can be done
>to extend it? Does this also apply to
   DVD's? I have a CD of  pictures from the NECC Beaverun race days,
Iowa Mini Covnention and the DACC
from last year. The NECC was a professional photographer but the
others were provided by personal friends.

Chuck Armer