<VV> long term data storage

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Sat Jan 5 09:58:09 EST 2008

I wonder if the new flash drives that plug into the usb port would work out
better for long term storage.  The price on them is getting reasonable and
the capacity of a gig or better is impressive

Mike in Michigan

I've got a couple of 2 gig pen-drives that I use to move data between my
desktop and the lappy, with MANY company files stored on them (and backed up
on DVD).  So far, the gizmos are working VERY well and are convenient as all
get-out.  They cost 25 bucks a pop at OfficeMax!

FWIW, they DO sell "archive quality" DVD/CD's that are supposed to be stable
for decades.  We've been able to recover/view data off archive-quality CDs
that are at least 10 years old without any data corruption or apparent
degradation (and those were burned off our old server tape back-ups).

John