<VV> Run On

Jeffrey Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Sun Jan 6 16:30:49 EST 2008

I have run on problems in a '66 Land Rover, too, so here are some guesses.

In most British sports cars, run on is a function of cylinder heat, often
timing that's too advanced. That's what I would check first. Secondly, if
its way too retarded, it will also fire at the wrong time and you will
wind up with a cylinder full of fuel. That can cause run on, too.

If its running too rich, you'll have excess fuel in the cylinders upon
startup that might diesel if ignited by excess heat in the cylinder, even
when there's no spark from the ignition.

If the cylinder head has a "hot spot" of unburned carbon at the edge of a
cylinder, it will heat up and keep igniting excess gas in the cylinder,
causing the same run on effect. That's where a light oil like Marvel
Mystery Oil can help remove those deposits.

Excessive cylinder heat can also be caused by lower-than-usual octane gas.
If I run my '66 Land Rover on lower octane regular gas, it will "diesel"
or run on, but not with a higher octane blend.

It's the one engine running experience I do not have on my '66 Monza 110
4-speed.
--
Jeffrey Aronson
P.O. Box 90