<VV> Economics Re: Regular Gas and Fuel Economyin a 110hpCorvair

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Mon Jan 7 20:51:12 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shaun McGarvey" <shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca>

> OK, I defer to your greater knowledge. It still FEELS like it's getting
> better HIGHWAY mileage to me with the timing retarded a few degrees. It
> floats along at far less throttle opening.
********
remember that there is static advance, and total mechanical advance , and
then there additionally is vacuum advance .. so you could set static idle
advance at 8 degrees ( as I did ) and fiddle with total mechanical advance
to still get lots of advance at say 2400 rpm .... and then mess with the
vacuum pot and/or/linkage to get a bunch more at high vacuum ...

So to describe what you really have, takes some patience and just for fun
maybe a club member has one of those good old distributor machines ... wow.

*********
Beware:: (g) ... when I decided to retard my 100 rig I just couldnt leave it
alone, so played the new-springs, stretch springs, dremel tool, lighter
flyweights ( put in backwards a few times ), move stops and resolder new
stops, change vacuum pots, linkage holes,........ finally had nervous
breakdown, and set everything back to stock ( I think .... ) and just
twisted the dang distributor to 8 degrees advance at idle.  I got mid 20's
mpg, 85 mph top end, and just a tad pinging on 89 E-10, and smooth enough
for a corvair running.

I have left the timing at 8^ since 1994 or so, hey, it's not a race car (
sigh ) ...

regardez, ken campbell, iwa