<VV> Economics Re: Regular Gas and Fuel Economyin a 110hpCorvair

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Jan 8 06:28:26 EST 2008

Ken Campbell wrote [in part]

>and set everything back to stock ( I think .... ) and just
>twisted the dang distributor to 8 degrees advance at idle.  I got mid 20's
>mpg, 85 mph top end, and just a tad pinging on 89 E-10, and smooth enough
>for a corvair running.
>
>I have left the timing at 8^ since 1994 or so, hey, it's not a race car (
>sigh ) ...
>
>regardez, ken campbell, iwa

Setting the timing with the engine running, especially a very old engine, can be
a difficult task ... there are so many variables such as vacuum interference,
advance weight movement and just plain worn parts.

Simple trick:  Ignition off, remove the secondary wire from the distributor cap
and run it to ground ... remove the coil power wire and insert a circuit test light
between it and the wire to the points ... rotate the crankshaft until the timing
mark is at the 8 degree [or whatever you choose] point on the indicator ... ignition
on ... slightly loosen the distributor [enough so you can just move it / don't pull or
push on the vacuum advance] and move it back and forth in smaller and smaller
movements until you get it to the position that the test light just goes out ...
tighten the distributor ... ignition off and hook up the wiring.  Job done!

Ken Pepke