<VV> A couple of electrical questions (63 coupe)

Dennis PLEAU ddpleau at msn.com
Tue Jan 8 18:30:00 EST 2008

My answers interspersed

> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:10:14 -0800> From: dfasgold at yahoo.com> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org> Subject: <VV> A couple of electrical questions (63 coupe)> > While my 65 is in the garage awaiting repair, I've been forced to drive our old 63 coupe, which has been pretty much sitting in the shed for a few years. I've been working out some of the gremlins, but there are a couple of things I want to ask about:> > 1) I converted this car to an alternator several years ago (external regulator). When I first start the car, the light stays on for a few seconds until I give the engine a good rev. It's always been this way...any idea why that happens?

Light stays on until you get enough rpm to excite the alternator, then it starts charging.> > 2) Dash panel lights blow their fuse after a few minutes...sometimes this causes the taillight fuse to blow as well. If I leave out the panel light fuse, then the taillights work fine. When I replace the panel light fuse, there seems to be a short in the headlight switch (just the panel light dimmer part). Does the switch have any internal parts that can short out?
Take out the switch and clean the resistor coil and wiper arm with tuner or electrical contact cleaner. Look for any ovious shorts in the > > 3) Wipers only work when I push on the wiper washer button...I only get one swipe of the wipers with each push of the button. Bad/dirty switch?

Bad contact in the switch see the Tech guide supplement for instructions on how to fix.> > 4) Heater blows strong, but only in the "high" position...could this have something to do with the resistor located in the defroster duct?

Resistor controls the lowere speeds.  It could be bad or disconnected.