<VV> GREENBRIER POWER TRAIN FOLLOWUP

Rod Murray rmurray at anaheimducks.com
Wed Jan 9 20:51:20 EST 2008

Ok, only a couple responses from VV re:  my thread yesterday on
anticipated performance of the brier I'm buying...recall that, based on
the engine ID code, the original FC engine has been pulled and replaced
with what appears to be a 102hp station wagon engine.  I didn't want to
lead anyone's feedback, but I'd already read in bob helt's book and lon
wall's catalog re:  the 102 motor - summarily the 102hp was an early
"hi-performance" engine offering a "hot" setup w/ poor low end torque
but decent highway performance... I haven't had a chance to check all ID
#'s yet, but since both the wagon and 64 van came standard w 3:55 diff,
i'm assuming (for now) that the van still has the original PG and 3:55
diff...anyway, here's a response recap, and thx to those who got back to
me - btw, I sure hope the last response is an exception!

"...for routine driving, use high octane gas and you will have excellent
performance..."

"...I have similar setup in my Lakewood.  I do not get jack rabbit
starts but cruise 70mph no problem..."

"...you may never notice the difference except need for high octane
gas..."

And then there was...

"...gutless and pings constantly...sorry..."  uh oh....

Rod

Vintage Corsa Pub & Web

'66 Monza convt 140/4

'64 Brier 102?