<VV> !!!!!!!!!+++++++++SAVE Ultravan 248 +++++++++!!!!!!!!!!

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 23:02:15 EST 2008

Sometime ago I posted the discovery of an Ultravan. It has been sitting for quite some time, and never really saw it until after an old wood boat parked next to it was cut up. Now you can see this Ultravan from the highway. Through some channels and help from Greg Shaw of Dearborn, MI we were able to find the current owner. I finally got my ass over there to take more pictures, the links are listed below.
The owners name is Don Bibe (spelling and pronouncation unconfirmed), he resides in West Bend, WI, about 25 minutes from here the ultravan sits in Saukville, WI. less than 5 minutes from me.
His numbers are: cell 262-284-4678 or home 262-675-6895
I took some photos and posted them for all of you to see. Don's intention is to sell it, it sounds like he does not have the time to keep it where its at anymore because the site needs to be cleared of all his "stuff". Don is allowing us a little time to work our channels of other Corvair and Ultravan hobyists before he attempts to place it on Ebay for auction. He seems like a semi-reasonable on the phone, although we think it asking price is a little stupid, to our knowledge that is $1700. So it would take a very talented person to get this guy to understand that it needs to be saved but it also needs to be a more reasonable price (IMHO). And just any other old car,that has been sitting for a long time, it would be futile to resurrect the old girl and drive away. It can be towed away on a tilting flat bed, access to it is pretty flat and the snow, although, will likely melt over the coming weekend with the warmer weather forcasted.
Its is remarkably complete, the headliner is nearly flawless, the floor is sturdy, the dashboard is a little meke as is a little rot in the deck back by the rear hatch door. The formica wall panels are remarkably solid, hardly any scratches, chips are delamination to speak of. I did not inspect the head, as I wasn't keen on meeting a critter maybe. It still has the original textiles inside, the lovely decadent green, it was pretty surreal inside, I felt like I was back in 1972 with the wall calender still hanging on the wall. To tell you how old I am, I saw on this particular calender that I was born on a Saturday! It has had some critters guests in the past. It had the optional 140hp engine, beyond that, its rough, but complete. The one missing headlight bezel I know is buried in the snow just outside the door.
Its obvious it will take someone endured to the Ultravan legacy to save her, I am not sure how many are left or how active the Ultravan group is, or how much demand there is for one of these whales, but this is an attempt to protect this endangered species.
I live not more than 5 minutes from its location, I am not able to purchase it outright (my wife would hang me), but can assist any party with some logisitics if necessary. I could, emphasize, could, let someone leave it my driveway for a little while if things became pressing to get it out of its existing location.
So I guess, if you know someone or are interested yourself, call Don and save her from the aluminum scrappers!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2930015470102567577CTijcm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22388420@N02/

Chris Mann
69 monza 140/4 #1657