<VV> What have you found in your .......

Dennis Dorogi dfamily at fairpoint.net
Sat Jan 12 09:45:54 EST 2008

After we trailered a 64 spyder convt. home from Ithaca NY. my son and I pried open the locked gloved compartment and found mouse stained owner protection plan booklet listing Carl Sagan of Cambridge Mass. as the owner - also doctors bills from 1966 and 1968, service records from Luby Chevrolet in Boston, others from Ithaca, a personal reminder listing; Bank, money for my trip, towel holder, tie rack, shaving mirror, cork squares, magnetic knife rack, hand drill, picture hangers, toilet paper. Also we found a traffic summons, and a wedding invitation, and a GM custom feature accessories booklet, and instruction sheet on the care and use of seat belts.  Related to the Sagan car, my son, Mark, who is actually the owner recently wrote:
I was at the library with the kids and by chance saw a book on the Life of Carl Sagan by a writer named William Poundstone.  Scanning though, I see this mention on page 115:

"Sagan now tooled around town in a Corvair Monza Spyder convertible with turbo-charged engine. "It flew," one Cornell student remembered. This allowed him to make the most of Ithaca's blend of natural splendor, small town living, and first-rate intellectual company."

It goes on to describe how Sagan entertained people such as Isaac Asimov.  I bet he took them for rides in his hot car!

This writer apparently has access to a lot of family records to write the book, enough anyway that he found out about the Corvair and made mention of it.  Perhaps I'll contact him sometime.

Mark recently added:

"I'm reading the rest of the book.  It is quite good, actually.  Another mention on pg 121 .."Carl drove the flamboyant muscle car.."; I don't think I remember hearing a Corvair referred to as a "flamboyant muscle car"!

I hope others find this of interest. The very rusty Spyder convertible still rests in my back yard.  Dennis Dorogi