<VV> 46 years ago today...

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Sun Jan 13 15:22:22 EST 2008

On January 13, 1962, ten days before his 43rd birthday, television
comedian Ernie Kovacs lost control of the 1961 Corvair station wagon
he was driving during a rainstorrm and crashed into a power pole at
the corner of Beverly Glen and Santa Monica Boulevards.  He died
within moments from chest and head injuries.

Rumors suggested Kovacs lost control of the car while trying to light
a cigar.  He may in fact have been attempting to light a cigar, but
the fact was that Kovacs was a largely irresponsible partier and
drinker, a known reckless driver, and at the time of the accident he
had been awake for the better part of several days, and he had been
drinking throughout that period.

He was driving the Corvair, a car he had purchased for his wife, Edie
Adams, so that she could use the couple's Roll-Royce that
evening.  Revisionist historians like to blame the car, and the car
later received considerable blame for Kovacs' death after Unsafe at
Any Speed was published. But the sad truth is that Ernie Kovacs -- a
brilliant comic genius whose television work was pioneering at the
time and which stands up today -- died as a result of his own
reckless behavior.  Edie Adams later said as much, dismissing
attempts to shift  blame to the car.

A sad, sad footnote to our hobby.  Kovacs' career began in Trenton,
NJ, only a few short miles from where I live.  I think I'll pop the
Kovacs DVD in the player later today and remind myself again of just
how imaginative and funny he was.

--Bob