<VV> Spark Delay Valve - yay or nay?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 02:44:09 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/13/2008 8:50:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, ronh at owt.com
writes:

Apparently they were commonly used as both forward delay valves and  reverse
delay valves, depending on the drivability problem.  I  believe that the
Corvair application would be the forward delay valve in  which case the black
or red side is toward the vacuum source  (carburetor).
RonH

I don't know why you would want to delay the return to zero on the Corvair.
(not saying your suggestion does, RonH.) I think the logical way to do it
would be to test it (sucks, huh?) then install it so the restriction - the  side
that you can hold a vacuum on - for a while - is fed to the distributor.  The
side that lets the air pass through easily to, should be to the carb feed.
Note that this may be - (very likely, in my experience) backwards from the way
it is marked. You should be able to test it easily enough - on a running
engine  - one way slows the advance application, the other doesn't. Note also that
you  may not need this. It is used as another tool to combat the need for
"real"  premium gasoline, which is no longer available. If your car runs at full
advance  with no pinging (and no valve installed) -  Chuck the valve onto  the
shelf! - Seth