<VV> flushing

Tony tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 13:50:51 EST 2008

At 01:32 PM 1/23/2008, kenpepke at juno.com wrote:
> >Rislone works.  Slow maybe, but it actually does stuff.
>
>True ... So does CD2 and many others ... Slowly they clean all the
>deposits off the walls and into the oil ... you will see how black oil
>can get.  Of course, that dirty oil is continually being pumped through
>the oil pump, filter, oil galleys, bearings, lifters, rockers and on and on.
>If the filter was catching it all the oil wouldn't be dirty, would it?

You might note that I did say that the oil should be changed after
the additive has had a chance to do its thing.   Rislone (and others)
doesn't work magic in 30 minutes...  it takes a few days of running,
after which you *change the oil*.

By the way, if the oil filter is in any sort of reasonable condition
it WILL trap debris and crud.

The oil turns black because the soot in the sludge and deposits is
made of carbon particulates far too small to be caught in the
filter.   They don't hurt the engine.

>Modern detergent oils leave the inner workings of the engine clean enough.

That's fine and good for modern engines with a history of nothing in
the crankcase except today's modern oils.   Pick up a Corvair from
Ebay that has a history that's pure speculation and mystery and you
don't know what sort of crud is sitting in the pan and under the top
cover and inside the valve covers etc ad nauseam, regardless of how
well it might run.

>better to leave what little sludge collects on the walls stuck to the walls.

Me, I'd rather see it gone myself.   And a quart of Rislone
afterwards, with each regular oil change, will make sure the engine's
remaining sludge is eventually dissolved and flushed with each
successive oil change.   It's a pretty decent way to clean out an
older engine without having to dismantle it... which is why I do the
Rislone thing.

It made a difference in the engine in my '60 4-door which had
evidently never been apart before I got it 24 years ago, and when I
had the heads off for the valve job it desperately needed, it had
crud from Hell inside the valve covers.   After scooping out what I
could, I fed it a regular diet of Rislone for a long time and
eventually the engine cleaned out nicely (when I did a 2nd tube seal
job a decade later it was nice and clean inside) and eventually went
just a few thousand miles short of 200K before it ate a seat and beat
up a piston and got replaced with another engine I had on hand, which
also gets Rislone.   The old engine didn't suffer from its diet of
Rislone over the years, didn't smoke or drool oil or do much of
anything else wrong up until the seat fell out and I don't think the
Rislone caused that.

As mentioned, to each his own, this is just my own opinion.

tony..