<VV> flushing

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Thu Jan 24 09:03:37 EST 2008

>'Back in the day' gas stations had wire baskets designed to hold 6 or 8
>glass quart bottles that had a spout on the top.  People did not have
>'throw away' thinking back then so used oil was saved and filtered to
be >resold, at a reduced price, as reclaimed oil.  Reclaiming was a
process of >filtering ... sometimes some additives were included.  That
'reclaimed' oil >looked pretty much like new oil.  They did a whole
bunch better job >filtering than is done with a spin on filter today.

Yep, I lived "back in the day".  Recycled oil was common and I used it
myself in my '39 Chevy that leaked water into the oil big-time from a
cracked block.  However, the oil in those days was non-detergent and
didn't get dark like today's oil.  Also, a common practice for a station
was to simply take their drain oil, run it through a barrel of sand to
"filter" it, let any sand that was picked up in the process settle to
the bottom, and then decant the "filtered" oil into those glass bottles.

You don't want to know what filling stations did to gasoline during WWII
to cope with rationing (my grandfather owned a garage and gas station).

Dave Keillor