<VV> gas heater problem

Shaun McGarvey shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 30 23:19:16 EST 2008

Any Gurus of the gas heater out there?
I've had an intermittent problem where the unit starts, fires up, cycles
through one cycle of heat then blows cold. Sometimes I can turn it off, then
on again and it will make another heat cycle before blowing cold again.
Sometimes turning it off and on won't make it heat.
I checked everything I could and everything works. The thermostat works
perfectly, the microswitch works, there's power to the fuel solenoid and the
coil, so I thought I'd ground the neg side of the coil to see if it fired,
and poof, it works and makes one heat cycle! So I know the points are
working, but it seems they need a kickstart.
Is there a component on the points board that will make this happen? Maybe
the condensor?
I'm good with electrical, but the moment you step over to electronic, I'm
lost. That's one reason why I drive a Corvair.

yea, Vairily ... Shaun