<VV> Mobile Econ Runs

james rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Jul 1 13:14:54 EDT 2008

All:  While I don't have any documentation that I remember.  Who knows what
is buried in my files, as I do not have a folder label Econ runs. Econ runs
had and have little interest to me, but I offer this info from what I think
I remember from back in the day.

The MER's were factory teams in cars maxed our per what ever the rules
allowed, driven by professional drivers, at constant average speeds of a
closed course, generally Daytona.  IIRC!

Like the mileage ratings on window stickers, not real world, but useful for
comparison purposes.

The CORSA Econ run is a competition.  Like all competitions, result vary
with car preparation and driver skill.  CORSA results are not real world
compared to daily driving.  There is also no cross refer to the MER results,
as the terms and conditions between them are totally different.

The CORSA econ run competition is fairly strickly run, and the results are
what people got that time and place, assuming there isn't any hidden gas
tanks.  Anybody who does that is one sad puppy and needs to get a life.

I ran in the '01 Chicago Cole Competition just for the giggles.  Herb
Berkman was my shotgun in the econ run and rally and drove my marginally
street legal racecar in the autocross.  We got 14mpg driving normally....and
won the class.  They changed the econ run rules the following year to
prevent the creative rule interpretation that had us as the only car in the
"Other" class.

I miss Herb.  One of the most decent guys I've known.  The anniversary of
his death was Wed of the Convention.  His wife, Joni, God bless her, was
there working her heart out.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice

Message: 8