<VV> turbo mufflers on a 140

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Tue Jul 1 15:16:05 EDT 2008

The best reason for using a pair of Turbo mufflers on a 140, would not
really be the sound,
but for the further reduction in back pressure that can be attained, over
the stock Corvair mufflers.

Turbo mufflers were originally designed with larger internal chambers, to
provide a lower final
resistance to the exhaust system, since any flow resistance behind the
turbo, slows the overall top speed
of the turbo and hence, the car.

I've used original Corvair Turbo mufflers on big-block Corvettes years ago,
for the same reason, and
presenly have one, including the original chrome Turbo exhaust tip, on my
'77 V8 Monza.

Mel Francis
'65 Monza convertible
'77 Monza 2+2