<VV> turbo mufflers on a 140

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Jul 1 17:24:09 EDT 2008

The Corvair turbo muffler was less restrictive than the baffled mufflers
of the day (and in fact is where we get the term "turbo muffler" from as
it was the first of the breed). However, modern turbo mufflers are much
more free flowing with even less backpressure... while Chevy wanted less
backpressure than the standard mufflers, they also needed to fairly
tightly control the sound level. This also gave them some backpressure
that helped to reduce peak boost, but I believe the tiny carb was the
primary boost restrictor.

Bill