<VV> Rear Spoiler From Clarks

George Jones 65crownv8 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 19:06:46 EDT 2008

Frank,

You're asking a very subjective question. Both styles are designed to be
bonded to the rear deck lid, C4731 can be screwed, pop riveted, or adhered
to the deck lid, but it will require some work to fit it to the tops of the
fenders (grinding to prevent damaging the paint on the tops of your
fenders).  You may be able to get away with fitting it, drilling your
mounting points, then painting and attaching it, but IMHO, it wouldn't look
"right"  because it wouldn't appear blended into the deck lid (mimicking the
Yenko style spoiler) . If you choose to adhere the spoiler to the deck lid,
I recommend fitting it first, then adhering it with some of the newer body
adhesives that are out there as opposed to using fiberglass epoxy to bond
it. If you go this route, you want to do your homework as preparation is
critical. The three piece spoiler (C4939) will need to be blended, and a
significant (for a non-bodyman) amount of work will be required to prep the
body and the spoiler. I had this spoiler on my 68 convertible until I had it
repainted, and the fiberglass to metal bond showed signs of failure, so I
removed it before painting.

If you decide to use an adhesive to attach them, you'll likely need to
repaint the deck lid at a minimum, and depending on the painter's ability to
match the color, maybe the whole car.

--

George Jones