<VV> tell the angus to shove it

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 13:48:10 EDT 2008

frankly:

I feel angus' comments are not very fair because:

1. the corvair was introduced as a small compact fuel efficient car, long before the 70's gas crunch came, and certainly could have been GM salvation in the 70's
2. the corvair proved that thinking outside the box (from and engineering and styling point) could have been a very lucrative for GM even today. How many Gm execs have been sleeping at the wheel, keep pumping SUV's and Crossovers to the market when indeed the buying public crys for fuel efficiency.
3. the corvair was an experiment in using multiple body designs with the same mechanical makeup. GM is still "experimenting" with standardized platform chassis and multiple "plug-n-play" body styles. 40 years ahead of its time STILL.
4. how could the corvair be such a fiasco when its suspension is essentially a standardized design even today, and is STILL a derivative of what the Corvette had and STILL has to this today!

heck, if gm had the guts to weather the storm back then, the corvair would still be telling us how things SHOULD be! angus' comments are groundless.

can anyone get angus' email address and let us all tell him his comments are unjustified,

the Corvair was not a fiasco, gm management (at the time) and the media were the fiasco's.

it only proves to show how slow domestic car and truck manufacturers are slow to react to changing trendsand the general marketplace. I am not surprised that we have not lost "the big three" yet!

chris mann