<VV> Motor Trend/ Corvairs

P.H. Raker n556p at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 08:46:43 EDT 2008

Bill Hershkowitz wrote:

> Keep in mind that the Corvair, like all rear-engine,
> air-cooled wonders,  went totally against everything
> the big American auto industry stood for.

You may have something there, Bill.  In 1985, Motor Trend produced a book entitled "100 Years of the Automobile".  I quote from a large sidebar about Porsche on P.169:
"And then there's Porsche.  Not the biggest seller, nor the car of aspirations of millions of Americans, and certainly never applauded for styling leadership.  But there's something about the machines from Zuffenhausen that sets them apart - and a bit above - all the rest.  Something Prof. Ferdinand Porsche created and his son perpetuates that transcends easy definition."
     Most of that could also be said about, and would be equally true regarding, the Corvairs.
     Interestingly, the only mention of the Corvair in the entire Motor Trend book is in reference to Nader's book, which is portrayed as a "condemnation of the GM's Corvair" "(which was later vindicated)".  In that context, there is one photo of a '60 Sedan.
     Corvairs may not be the most desired of cars by the majority of people.  They may be just a footnote in most histories of automobilia, they may not be the fastest, most beautiful, or ....  They do, however, have a quality that "sets them apart - and a bit above - all the rest."  There is something about what Ed Cole created and WE perpetuate that "transcends easy definition."

Phil Raker
'65 Corsa Cpe - 140/4
'63 Greenbrier - 110/4