<VV> VV Meeting @ Ventura

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Thu Jul 3 08:56:38 EDT 2008

James---I'll try to intersperse what I know into your message
---- james rice <ricebugg at mtco.com> wrote:
> All:  I have since found out that Matt is a past chairman of VV, has put
> hisownself in position of responsibility, and therefore has a real right,
> more so than most, to comment about the VV session at Ventura.  This also
> explains why people were asking him about the meeting, as a former Chairman,
> he was unrealistically expected to know what was going on.  I here by
> apologize to Matt for asking a pointed question which was inappropriate.  It
> wasn't his responsibility. But not for the rest of my response.

Actually, Matt is still a member of Vairorg, which is a group of VV members who moderate, control, and fix problems on the list.  The Chairman is supposed to do the moderating.  Garth Stapon was the Chairman, and AFAIK he didn't even renew his CORSA dues.  Vairorg (I believe) WAS aware of Garth not being a member anymore, and therefore the Chairman's chair was open.  Vairorg has their own message list (vairorg at corvair.org) and if you send a message to Vairorg at that address, not only Matt but Dennis Pleau,Kent Sullivan,Bryan Blackwell,Seth Emerson, and others as well get that message. Same when they communicate among themselves.

>From what I've been able to gather, Vairorg was aware of the situation.
>
> And Smitty, you were one of the ones I hoped to meet.
An experience that you will regret you missed when you do meet him.  But what do I know, I've only known him for 20 years.

> First question:  How do sessions get scheduled?
SIG's and all other meetings are scheduled through the host club(s), with input from Harry and Mike (M&P).

 .  Either the CORSA Convention
> team or the Local Convention team does the asking.  Or maybe the Chair or
> Sig leadership request it.  It may be that VV has always had a time slot, so
> it was allocated one without anyone asking if a time slot was desired.

We've had time scheduled since at least 1998, and probably before that.  At Tahoe (99) the meeting was Friday night. That kept VV'ers looking at nametags all week to try and recognize people.  When I became Chairman we had V V nametags printed up by one of our members and had them on Seth's table in the Vendor room to pick up. This procedure was used from 02-06 that I know for sure.

I worked with Harry and the Convention Chairs to get the V V meeting moved to Wed. nite (first night with meetings) so that everyone could meet and greet at the beginning of the convention.

 At any rate, VV had a time slot: Thursday at 3:30.  It was on the schedule
> published in the Communique many months ago.

A RIDICULOUS TIME TO SCHEDULE A Committee meeting.  And had we had a Chairman in place, or Vairorg would have stepped up to the plate, you would have had a late evening meeting, AFTER TOURS AND TRIPS, so everyone could hang out and jaw afterwards.

> Hank said: "More directors and former directors on VV than in any other one
> group in CORSA and nobody picked up the ball?  What's wrong with THAT
> picture?"

The Picture is that the aforementioned Dennis, Seth, Kent, etc are all (now) former directors, and all are members of Vairorg.  They SAW the schedule, they saw the shitty time for the V V meeting, and nothing was done about it.

Vairorg has owned up to what happened.  CORSA President Tim Mahler knows about it, and he took responsibility--so obviously Vairorg kept Tim and the BoD aware of the Internet Committee having no chairman.  I believe they were waitng for the meeting at the Convention to get a new Chairman.   So much for plans.

All Smitty was trying to tell you was you didn't know the background of Vairorg, and what had gone on before.  NEVER BEFORE was the V V meeting scheduled in the afternoon.  And God willing, NEVER AGAIN.

 I have explained to them and to Tim and the BoD that if I had the time I would be happy to step back in as Chairman, at least to moderate the list. I don't have the internet savvy required for many of the changes in CORSA's Web presence that would be required.

 A Marine Corps League Detachment Commandant is a 7 day a week job, and on top of that I currently wear a dual hat supervising 10 other detachments as a District Vice Commandant for the State.  And a full time job.  But since I was already Chairman  on V V when it was like the Wild West from time to time, I don't feel too guilty.

OTOH, Vairorg has previously put out the call for anyone who would like to help govern V V to volunteer to be on Vairorg.  Perhaps they're looking for YOU.

Hank