<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 42, Issue 10

Andrew Golt andrewcouchst at netzero.com
Fri Jul 4 09:24:36 EDT 2008

Thank you Seth!!! Did anybody watch my vids?

Harry is one of those car dilettantes like me. We wouldn't do something  like
that. But thousands of brake shops around the country were doing that same
trick for years. If you can hone it on the car, they will. It saves time
(=money) and reduced damaged hose and tube junctions. Late Corvair rears are
notorious for ruining that short tube that feeds the wheel cylinder from  the
trailing arm. I like the idea of just standing on the brake pedal -  something will
give! - Seth

A friend used to run Malibus, the "smaller '78-'87 Model. The rear cylinders were held on by a "PAL' or one-use clip. It didn't work, and GM had a huge recall. They installed a stupid "Pinch": clip. It wasn't much better. His solution? He'd arc weld the cylinder right to the spring pin. I used to copy his solution. It WILL weld to cast iron, at least enuff to save changing the backing plate to a specially made one with a bolt-in section to avoid removing the axle.
If you would try remove the c-clipped axle, there was a good chance you'd break the little bolt that held the spacer pin in the pumpkin. Another disaster!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.