<VV> Radio ideas

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sat Jul 5 14:48:05 EDT 2008

I saw a 55 bell air at a show the other day that had a great idea for an
after market radio. He took a tissue dispenser and hinged the front end. He
then installed a modern stereo inside. It was installed under the dash. When
it was closed, it looked stock, when open he had access to a modern stereo.

I got the tech guide at the convention. Inside, there is an article about
taking a 70 Cadillac radio and converting it with a Corvair radio faceplate
to give AM/FM. There are also instructions for an AUX input. Both
conversions look very straight forward to me.

I would love to do a conversion but I already have a vintage under dash
FM/8-track in my car that works very well. I used the instructions in the
tech guide and installed the AUX input on my FM/8-track. I use it for my MP3
player. It works great.

If someone wants to purchase the parts, I would like to do a conversion,
just for the experience. I just saw a 70 Cadillac stereo radio on E-Bay last
week that went for about $45.00. You can give me a tip for the labor or
perhaps some parts. Contact me off line if you're interested.

I also have several web page links for professional shops that will put
modern guts in an old radio. However, they are rather expensive.

Dave Thompson

Westminster, CA

63 Spyder Vert