<VV> feeling cranky

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 08:36:41 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

From: "Rex Chivers" <rchivers at tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: <VV> Missing Bearing Update

Thanks to all that replied about the missing bearing, .................
     Do I need to remove the gear from the crank shaft before I take it to
the machine shop for grinding ?

-Rex-

61 Rampie,
65 Vert (mtr in rebuild)

If the journal damage is severe enough that repair by welding is suggested, I'd look for a good used crank.  Welding = distortion, which sometimes leaves non-ground surfaces and diameters  (like gear pitch diameters, seal and flywheel mounting diameters) describing undesireable orbits.

Then there are the metallurgical uncertainties, especially welding a tufftrided crank.

Bearings spin for a reason.
Why did yours fail ?

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA