<VV> shaking on down...not a good thing

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 08:50:12 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

From: sharpiebandit06 at bellsouth.net
Subject: <VV> shaking on down...not a good thing

Hey guys,
   So I have a problem. While I'm driving my corvair down the road, there is a
slight trimmor and when I pull up to the stop light, the back end shake pretty
bad. My engine never cuts off, it just shakes real bad. I know i have good
compression in the heads and cylinders, I just spent the moring inspecting the
torque convertor connection to that plate in the bell housing and made sure the
three bolts weren't loose. I know that I'm loosing a bunch of fluids which I
foudn to ATF fluid due to a bad seal. The carbs are find and synched properly
and the timing is correct, does anyone have any ideas?

Charles
Jax, FL '65 Monza 95hp

What repairs were made just before it ran rough?
Sometimes cum hoc ergo propter hoc IS correct.

With the engine off I'd slip a straighened paper clip in each of the 6 dist cap connections, then with teh engine idling, short out one cylinder at a time using a test lead to ground.  If the cylinders are working equally then the rpm drop when any one is shorted will be the same.  With the "shaking" you describe i expect several dead cylinders, or a few switched plug leads, or even several fouled plugs

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA