<VV> Fwd: WC: Convention Roadtrip Recap - Part 1

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 09:38:34 EDT 2008

____________________________________
 From: westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
To:  virtualvairs at corvair.org, corvairs at cybrus.net
Sent: 7/5/2008 9:23:15 P.M.  Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: WC: Convention Roadtrip Recap - Part  1

I'm a few days  late with this, but I needed time to recharge my batteries
and for the crew to  get all their photos up to be used for this.

As those at the  convention know, the Canadian crew from Western Canada CORSA
came down as a  group, covering 3000+ miles for the round trip.  Both Laura
and I had a  great time, and are even a little sad our adventure had to come to
an  end.

The  Cast:
James Hogarth /  1965 Coupe
Julianne McCaffery  & her dog Maggie / 1966 'vert
Steve Paine &  neice Lucita / Ford F350 towing a 1965 Coupe
Brent Palmer /  1961 Lakewood
Joel & Laura  Rushworth / 1961 Rampside
Shawn & Marja  Sirna / Chevy Truck towing a 1962 Rampside
Mike & Cara  Weirmier / 1964 Westbrier

We all gathered at  Shawn's place before heading out to the ferry for the
ride over to the  mainland.  Most of us frantically trying to finish the work
day, plus the  work on our 'vairs, plus packing before getting on the road.  We
managed  to catch the 7:00pm ferry and get over to the mainland before the
first  problem reared it's head.  It wasn't until Shawn got up to real highway
speed over on the mainland that it became apparent the weight distribution on
the trailer wasn't quite right and with less than a 1/4" of clearance between
the Rampside's wheels and the fenders on the trailer, getting his vehicle off,
 turned around, re-distributed and strapped back down, all while on the side
of  a major highway, was quite the little  project.

_http://tinyurl.com/67p5da_ (http://tinyurl.com/67p5da)

>From there is was  through the border and down to Steve Paine's for our first
night, with arrival  coming sometime after midnight.  The next morning we
were all up bright  and early taking care of last minute details and helping
Steve out with  getting his camper into the borrowed tow vehicle, a modern F-350
diesel.   We measured the height to the rails and the height over the cab, and
everything looked hunky-dorey and proceeded to get the camper jacked up so it
 could be slid into the pickup.  It wasn't until it was all the way up  that
it occurred to us to measure the width of the camper.  Did  you know older
pickup beds are almost four inches wider at the rails than new  ones?  Who knew?
So the camper had to stay behind, and Steve  and Lucita would be slumming it
in tents with the rest of us bums.  Well,  almost.  Steve being Steve, his
tent was actually an "easy up" shelter  that had full sides, and a full height
air mattress inside to  boot!  So we head off down the I-5 to Valley of the
Rogue State Park in  southern Oregon.  It was a beautiful campsite, but boy there
sure was a  lot of lightening flashing across the sky that night.

Day 3 had us  continuing on down I-5 towards San Francisco.  We're zoomin'
along I-5  and it's time for a break, so we pull into a rest stop to let
everybody  stretch their legs.  It's time to saddle up again, and Shawn's tow
vehicle will turn over, but it's obvious it isn't going to run.  Air,  Fuel and
Spark are what's needed, and he's not getting the gas.  The fuel  pump had packed
it in.  At just that  moment a modern sedan rolls into the rest stop, and out
pops  "Smilin'" Mike Grew and his side kick, Richard LeVert, both from
Victoria!  They hadn't seen the 'vairs, it was just a total fluke they  pulled off
to the same rest stop as us.  And it wasn't too embarrassing  having them show
up to see us beating the gas tank with a hammer trying to get  it to fire just
one last time, Mike being a Shop Teacher and all.  One  good whack and the
truck fired back to life, but there was going to be no  turning it off between
that moment and the night's campsite.  The next  major town was Williams, but
it was getting dangerously close to closing time  on a Saturday by the time we
arrived there.

Once we got there,  Mike, Shawn and I hopped into the Westbrier and headed
off for the local  Napa.  As we rolled past the lights were off and it looked
like we were  going to be S.O.L., but as we pulled a Uewie I noticed that the
back shop  gates were open and the bay doors were up.  I jumped out and went
tearing  inside with my best sob story at the ready.  Fortuneatly, the owner  was
still there and willing to fire up the till for one more  sale.

Just north of San  Fran we turned west on I-80, which turned out to be one of
the worst kidney  rattling roads I've ever had the displeasure to drive on.
It's no wonder  everyone drives new cars in Cali, they get shaken to pieces
before they have a  chance to become old!  I-80 took us into the lower Napa
Valley, which had  the prettiest clouds coming across the horizon.

_http://tinyurl.com/5sv85l_ (http://tinyurl.com/5sv85l)

It quickly became  apparent they weren't clouds, but smoke from wildfires
sparked by the  aforementioned lightning on the previous night; the radio said
there had been  over 400 strikes.  With one eye on the sky, and the other
dodging gaps in  the pavement, we continued on to our campsite at Sugarloaf Ridge
State  Park.

Morning at  Sugarloaf was another early affair with James attempting to
diagnose a noisy  lifter that wouldn't go away no matter how many times he adjusted
it, Shawn  getting a hand pulling the tank out of his truck to get at the
electric fuel  pump.

_http://tinyurl.com/5u8zen_ (http://tinyurl.com/5u8zen)

I took the  opportunity to put the track on the bottom of my driver's window
so I could  once again know the pleasure of driving with my arm resting on the
sash and  the wind blowing in my hair.  James determined his problem was a
bad  rocker and ball, of which we had brought one spare (plus the other 12 on
the  spare motor... doesn't everybody travel with a spare motor?) so his issue
was  solved.  We empited the gas out of the jerry can into Shawn's truck and
with the new pump it fired right up. I was ready to enjoy a cool, or
not-so-cool breeze for the road ahead.  All this rolling around in the  dirt left all
of us a little worse for wear, so Mike rigged up an instant  shower out of a
broom, garden hose, a sprayer and judicious use of Maggie's  tether rope.  Much
to the amusement of the onlooking  wives....

_http://tinyurl.com/6rlzec_ (http://tinyurl.com/6rlzec)

>From here the plan  was to go over the Golden Gate and south through San Fran
onto our first  really scenic drive along to coast all the way down to
Ventura.    Being complete tourists we were really excited to drive over the Golden
Gate  and shutters were snapping away like crazy all the way  across.

_http://tinyurl.com/5hh6vm_ (http://tinyurl.com/5hh6vm)
_http://tinyurl.com/5atcbv_ (http://tinyurl.com/5atcbv)

Surprisingly, not  one of us got a picture of the now empty Jerry can flying
out of the back of  Shawn's Rampside at about the midway point on the Golden
Gate.

Through San Fran  and down the coast road, our first views promised to live
up to  expectations.

_http://tinyurl.com/69tv4j_ (http://tinyurl.com/69tv4j)

But just over the  horizon there was more smoke to be seen.

_http://tinyurl.com/6zwxll_ (http://tinyurl.com/6zwxll)

We made it as far as Big Sur, before we had  to back track 30 miles to take
the 101 south for our next campsite at Morro  Bay, but this meant going east,
then south and then west to get us back to the  coast and our next campsite.
Both Greg Bilideau and James Hogarth (who  had headed out earlier than us that
day) had to make the same turn around at  different times during the day.
James being the only one lucky enough to  see a Corvair headed north (Greg)
causing him to turn around before getting  all the way to Big Sur.  Either way,
what we had seen of the coast road  was gorgeous, and I was disappointed that we
were only going to see an  abreviated piece of it.

One more  late night arrival, this time Morro Bay, our first leisurely
wake-up and a  short 125miles put us in Ventura for the  Convention!

Part 2 and 3 to  follow soon.

Regards,
Joel