<VV> Start/Won't Start

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 10 01:33:02 EDT 2008

Hi Bill, I have just recently had the same situation with Darth Vair.
My problem turned out to be the
spliced wire  I had to add to give the positive battery cable red
wire to the positive red junction on the
engine surround enough length to reach it's destination. I have an
Interstate battery with the terminal posts
set up like the Ford batteries (across the battery and nearer the
rear driver's fender as opposed to being
close to the engine. Anyhow, the crimp on one end of the added length
of the red wire was loose and caused
the same symptoms you are describing. The other more obvious problem
could be the simple one that requires
you to clean the battery posts and the cable clamp surfaces as we
tend to forget to do when we have our Corvairs
sitting for awhile and the thin layer of lead oxidation forms a nasty
little insulating barrier between contact and ground. ;-)

Good Luck
Chuck Armer
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
At 12:11 AM 7/10/2008, you wrote:
>I'm in need of some VV direction.  My 63 Spyder has developed a peculiar
>habit of intermittant starting.  By that I mean that I can go out in the
>morning, turn the key to start and it will energize the starter and fire
>up.  Other times......no response at all.  Have jumped it many times
>from the engine compartment with a short piece of wire to the purple one
>at the plug when it won't fire with the key.   It may make contact one
>moment and not the next.  Is it the ignition switch?  main harness plug
>in the engine bay? some other connector?   Anyone had this problem
>before..and solved it?
>Bill Kronen
>Rocky Mt. House, Alberta

CORSA Tri-membership Chairman