<VV> Wrist Pins

Curt Shufelt curtshufelt at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 10 21:59:39 EDT 2008

>Yesterday I realized I do not whave the wrist pins for the pistons I was
>going to use for an engine I am building.  That is how I got the pistons.
>What are my options?  Can I use wrist pins from another set?  How bad is
>that?  I recall they are individually sized to the piston, but how true
>is that when they press into the same size in the connecting rod.  Anyone have some
>TRW wrist pins they will part with?
>Thought of buying new pistons but that is painful as these are almost new.

>Geoff Johnson
>Working on - 1965 Sedan 140PG AC
>Albuquerque NM

Pins from the same manufacturer should be close in size, chev 67 283 for example .9270-.29273
many pins have a clearance of .00015-.00025
forged pistons have more clearance 327ci-350 hp is .00045-.00055
this is the factory specs. I don't have corvair specs here. don't guess, too tight and the pin will seize when the weather get cold, too much and you will have a knock.
Any automotive machine shop can check clearances for you and hone pistons if pins are a tad tight.
check the manufacturer for proper fit. Forged pistons should have same pin as cast, the piston is honed larger but you must check.
Press fit is .0008-.0016 interference on SBC as you see pin to piston fit is closer than press.
Curt