<VV> Checking in on the Corvair Mechanic thing

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 22:49:29 EDT 2008

Some interesting views have been shared on why there are not many Corvair mechanics. My take is some combination of them. Most modern day mechanics have been schooled on how to hook up and read diagnostic equipment and change parts with special numbered tools. For this you pay upwards of $75 an hour. This covers the equipment, air conditioned shops, union wages, dealer advertising, etc. I don't know how much of the cost the mechanic takes home (I would guess around 25%?), but I do know that there are incentive for beating the rate manual, and penalties for comebacks. There are also healthcare and retirement benefits which usually cost companies more than the wages they pay. These things simply don't exist to that extent in the private owner shops, so why fight it? If I didn't have a teaching job on the side with health care, I couldn't "afford" to work on Corvairs and carburetors at a rate that most Corvair folks are "willing to pay." I put this in quotation because the vast, vast majority of owners have them as a hobby, and thus there is no REAL need, other than an often undefinable need to drive a classic car, to get them repaired. So, they can "afford" to be tight with their money. (I have a '62 one- owner coupe out back that was dropped off for repairs over 2 years ago, and I have not heard from him since the bill for about $2000 for an engine rebuild and brake system replacement was discussed). As for parts, because I am aware of some of the costs direct from the manufacturer or distributor, I know that some of you are paying 1000% or more markup on some items. I can not in good conscience ever charge that, so I don't mess with that end of things. The rationalization I have heard usually goes something like this - "well, it's better to have it at any price than not at all." As long as enough owners are willing to pay the price, the prices will remain as high as sellers can get (Economics 102). Just my 10 cents (inflation) and hoping no toes were stepped on.
Grant