<VV> tire info requested

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 19:15:03 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,
Need your help

Recently, there has been a posting going around on the internet with  photos
stating the tires made since about 1994 have a DOT code molded into  the
sidewall indicating the week and year of manufacture. For example, 374  would be
week 37 of 1994
and 3704 would be week 37 of 2004.

I just checked the original tires that came on my 2002 Buick and they  have
no such code. Neither does a 185/80R13 Corvair tire I bought  earlier this year.

So does anyone know if this DOT code is optional or really  required?
 Or maybe just a joke like so many internet stories going  around?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Bob Helt