<VV> Tire Info Requested

Steve Oxford seoxford at att.net
Sun Jul 13 21:24:12 EDT 2008

Bob - Yes, the DOT code has been required for some time.  The three digit code was used before 2000 and the four digit code was used after 2000.  Your  date analysis is basically correct, though it's possible that "374" could indicate the 37th week of 1984.  See the following website for more info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Steve Oxford/
Hi everyone,
Need your help

Recently, there has been a posting going around on the internet with  photos stating the tires made since about 1994 have a DOT code molded into  the sidewall indicating the week and year of manufacture. For example, 374  would be week 37 of 1994 and 3704 would be week 37 of 2004.

I just checked the original tires that came on my 2002 Buick and they  have no such code. Neither does a 185/80R13 Corvair tire I bought  earlier this year.

So does anyone know if this DOT code is optional or really  required?  Or maybe just a joke like so many internet stories going  around?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Bob Helt