<VV> Stock Fuel pump / Notice to Newbies from a newbee

dave.thompson at verizon.net dave.thompson at verizon.net
Tue Jul 15 23:20:57 EDT 2008

I have been having problems with my 63 Spyder stumbling or caughing sometimes when I jump on it. She also does it sometimes at freeway speeds. Last night, My buddy was driving her and he started to hear a clacking noise and the engine spuddered in unisin with the clacking. He looked the engine over and found that the stock fuel pump was very loose. He could move it all around and there were scratches on the oil filler neck. He tightened the mounting bolt and said that so far she has not stumbled since. He also said "Darn, now I have to drive her rowdy to see if we fixed it" (smile).

As we discussed the problem many times in the past, we agreed that it seemed to be temparary fuel starvation. We figured that it must be our lack of understanding of the carb adjustments. I'm out of town for the week so it should be interesting what he comes up with his test drives.

Moral to the story:
Check the mounting bolt on your stock fuel pump.

Dave Thompson
63 Spyder Vert
Vintage Corsa member
Westminster, CA