<VV> Healthy pumps?

corvairs corvairs at pacifier.com
Thu Jul 17 16:45:19 EDT 2008

Ron - If the valves do not allow "cycling" then the system could
continue to build up pressure until you had a failure. The pumps are
designed to "cycle" (that is re-circulate gas without pumping out) when
excessive pressure is obtained. Now, we DO know that a return line was
offered on mid 63-66 turbos because, when under boost, it was possible
to essentially "overcome" the pumps intended design. (Keep in mind that
the turbo carb has one little float rather than 2) But none of these
factors have ANYTHING to do with the internal spring in the pump. That
spring exists solely for the purpose of making sure that the pump
diaphram  follows the crankshaft eccentric. It has NOTHING to do with
the pressure the pump puts out.       Lon

www.corvairunderground.com