<VV> YH Squirting Issue

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 18 08:17:36 EDT 2008

There should be a "squirt" of fuel in a Carter YH, but it is harder
to detect because it is discharged in the very center of the carb and is being squirted upwards. You might be able to see it drip after several squirts. There is also not as much as with a Rochester as you only have one hole and not as much fuel (only the amount that can get between the pump housing and top of the pump. There is no noise associated with it that I can hear. There are several places that could get plugged and cause the problem. It could be that your discharge ball or needle has become stuck due to varnish, so you might want to remove the bowl cover and squirt a bit of carb cleaner into the hole where it resides. A ball bearing is more apt to stick than the needle, particularly if the carb has been out of use for any length of time, or in use for a long period of time. There is also a ball bearing check valve in the pump cover housing that could be the culprit, but disassembly is required to check and see if it rattles. It is beneath the large rivet in the pump housing cover). If you have removable pump jet (pre-late '65) in the bottom of the fuel bowl, it might also be clogged, but is the least likely cause. (If you have the later style that is sealed, you have to hope for internal cleaning to take place). Lastly, the squirter nozzle itself could be clogged, and it can be cleaned by removing the large rivet on the protrusion at the bottom of the fuel bowl and squirting cleaner and compressed air through it. Hope this helps, and does not create any unnecessary hysteria on the site.
Grant
<<I am used to the behavior of the accelerator pumps on the Rochester carbs. Take the air cleaner off, pull the throttle, should get an easily visible squirt, and also hear that "psst" noise. Am I correct that I should get the same from the Carter YH (air cleaner housing removed, peering into the end with flashlight). When I checked Leigh's carb
tonight, I couldn't see or hear any evidence that it is working. Is it especially difficult to detect, or is mine not working?>>