<VV> The YH Pump - THE final answer

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Jul 19 00:56:26 EDT 2008

In my memory my Spyder YH accellerator pump does slightly stroke with
the throttle linkage. So I set out to confirm this.

I took apart a spare YH I purchased back in the early 80s, seeing as the
one on my Spyder has not run in several years and will need cleaning to
get apart.....

This YH performs just like Bob says it does! The accellerator pump shaft
does not move down with the throttle linkage. The spring (lower) is very
tight and the diaphram is slightly stiff. So the only thing that pulls
the shaft down is vacuum on the lower side of the diaphram. If you push
the shaft down with a finger (and a hard push is needed) then the
throttle shaft will raise it, along with the metering rod.

I am crawling back under my rock so as not to provide any more wrong
answers.....

Someday I must clean the Spyder YH and see if I am just getting senile.
Maybe it has a really light lower spring, or something is out  of whack
at the top of the pump rod.

Frank Duval