<VV> no reverse with powerglide

cfm cfmann at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 17:33:26 EDT 2008

Hello:
Well with all optimism I had today, we DID manage to get everything back together on my 69 convertible, tuned the carbs, set the timing, etc. Have a noisy lifter, but other than that it runs pretty good.
So for the rewarding part, we stick it into reverse to pull out of the garage, and we went FORWARD!, went back to neutral, then went into drive, and went forward. Want reverse? forget it, no REVERSE.
Consulted the shop manual, and corsa technical guide, and no direct cause and effect given or prodecure to tap into. Was on page 7-32 and 7-33 of the 65 shop manual for troubleshooting things.
We keep thinking it has something to do with the shift linkage, specifically, the cable that enters into the power glide unit, or two something more serious.
when we dismantled to pull the engine, we disconnected the accelerator rod first, had the car in neutral and then removed the shift cable. and followed reinstall in the reverse manner. the TV swivel (the accelerator pivot) on the side of the PG is stuck above the tranny pan flange and the manuals clearly state it should be about 3/8" below the flange.
My mentor/mechanic friend thinks one alternative might be to pull the pan on the PG unit itself and to use a special tool to insert where the cable goes to "line up" the disks the right way then try again.
I am at a complete loss, we ran out of time, and I am heading into my fourth day of this torque converter replacement project and was SOOOO CLOSE to being road ready!
We did drive it around his barn once, but never hit the road really.
So, anybody have any tidbits, strategies we should consider when we try to tackle this next week?
I cannot recall,having owned this car only three months, and never really driving it, that reverse worked in the first place anyway, I want to believe I did have it in reverse at one point, but again can't remember specifically before the TC replacement project.
Chris Mann
69 monza convertible 110/pg (engine a 65-67ish, not original to car)