<VV> cavalier

John Egerton jegerton at rcn.com
Sun Jul 20 08:25:06 EDT 2008

Mike, The Cavalier in the article is the prototype, the first one built,and is seen on page 128 of Tony Fiore's book, The Corvair Decade. It is documented, and the current owner has been in contact with Art Hirshberger,the founder of Solar Automotive, concerning the restoration. There are articles describing the installation of the 327 V-8 ,by Hirshberger,in the early 1970's, as well as original photographs.It was a Kelmark conversion. The car still has it's original interior. I sold it to the current owner approx.two years ago, after storing it inside for almost ten years. Before that, the previous owner had it outside, under a tarp. The paint was peeling off in sheets, and there were rust issues with the custom bodywork. The flares and front air dam are steel fabrication, not fiberglass, as in later Cavaliers. The tires and wheels shown in the book were still with the car. The Vent-top roof  extension was removed by Hirshberger before the car was sold in the late '70's,but I had found another one, which went with the car. The current owner knows the history of this car and appreciates it's uniqueness. I believe it is in good hands.   John Egerton