<VV> Autocross report--long and boring

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Jul 20 22:10:56 EDT 2008

After a very frustrating week, I just had to get away--so? went autocrossing against good financial sense.

The? 3100 engine in my smaller Roadster has a knock, The? 3100 turbo engine out of? the Stinger has a bad flywheel -or worse.?
??? The .030 over Naturally aspirated, 6 tube, Qjet, 13/1 engine that I put in the Stinger? has a loose flywheel; which just?occured while runing it in the garage.??
?? Out of frustration I decided to see if the Bill Thomas/Doug Roe? turbo 2700 cc car would run, I had just recently changed out the Weber for the period correct, but heavier Holley 4 bbl. The whole car is heavy, about 2180 or so embarassing pounds? VS 1850 for the Stinger. You can't check turbos in the garage.
??? The Vintage car is very popular among the Fort Wayne racers; even the young ones. I spent way, way ?more time talking about it's history than racing.
??? The fastest car? overall at this event (Verizon) last year (same course) was the tube frame sorta Camaro CP car of Scott Lewis, I was nearly 2 sec. off pace? last year in my Stinger.
??? This year after 6 runs I edged out Scott by .2 sec. A small victory, but I'll take it.
?? If I had a secret, it is that I used the swing axle "faults" ?as an advantage and pivoted-butt out- into the tight spaces. I was sorta bogging around in 2nd gear but the mildly cammed car pulled right out with good boost. .
??? Go figure that the orange pig was the car to have this day???? Several people commented on the large size of the car, but loved to see it hanging out. .
??? No, I didn't get FTD. It was won ,of course, ?by a 4wd Rally car again.

Warren