<VV> Carb update

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 22 10:28:31 EDT 2008

Need help.
I installed a pressure regulator and set it at 3 1/2 lbs.  The
passenger side carb is now apparently ok on accessory (haven't tried
to start her yet).  The driver's side is pouring gas out of the
venturi (needle not seating) and also around the horn gasket (I
thought I cleaned the surface pretty well...I guess not).  I'll took
the drivers side off AGAIN to see what I could find.  The surface for
the horn gasket was near perfect.  I went ahead and cleaned it again
just because I have it apart and it now should be perfect!  Before
adjusting the float again, I decided to try the "blow" test.  I
turned it upside down and blew on the fuel inlet.  It sealed just
like it is supposed to.  I gently lifted the floats and could hear
the air rushing.  I let the floats drop and it sealed!  I went ahead
and rechecked the clearance from the top of the air horn using a 1/8"
drill bit as suggested by a well known carb expert in our club.  I
double checked using a ruler and straight edge on top of the floats
and got 1 3/16 (at least 1/32" from specs, and maybe right on...old
eyes...ggg).  One thing, the instructions in the kit say to set the
drop on the floats at 1 3/4" and the manual says 1 1/2" inch.  Who is
right?  BTW, both are set at 1 3/4".  If I adjust the drivers to 1
1/2" now that I have it opened, will I have to do the same to the
passenger's side, could I have one at 1 1/2" and the other at 1 3/4",
or should I just leave both at 1 3/4"?

Trying to fix things before the kids and wife wake up.

BTW, that is why I'm having to work on the car until 3:00 in the
morning.   I can't really start until they sleep.

Stephen