<VV> Diff lube question

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 11:21:45 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/23/2008 11:11:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bmoneill at juno.com writes:

I didn't  notice the mix up because both were the same price and the bottles
are almost  identical.  I stopped at the local Chevy place and got a bottle of
their  limited slip diff additive.  When home and put all of it in the
diff--then and only then did i notice the MTL.
The MTL bottle says its  70W80 API GL-4 Gear oil.  I think I'm OK but would
appreciate any  comments.  I really don't want the hassle of draining it all.
Got  work to do to get ready for the Olympics.
Thanks in  advance.

Without having books at hand I would be sure the MTL GL-4 is designed for
hypoid gears.  Front wheel drive transaxles use mostly (if not all) cross  cut
or angle cut gears that don't have the same shear loads and requirements of  a
hypoid and hypoid lubricant.

Bob Hall

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.