<VV> Float drop question

David Heath dheath at vanceandhines.com
Thu Jul 24 11:46:59 EDT 2008

My turn to spread some  wisdom.  The float drop is CRUCIAL.  Do not forget
to set the drop.
Many years ago I did not set the drop.  I used all the logic everyone has
thrown out: ³what should it matter, there is always gas flowing in???², etc.
The problem shows up on a high G turn.  The gas sloshes to one side, one
float gets stuck down and the car is now running on one half of the engine;
the other half is getting so much fuel it barely runs.  My second mistake
was that I parked the car on a slight incline with a full tank of gas for
about a week.  With the needle stuck open, the gas dripped in the engine for
a week and when I went to start it, Woosh!  The engine was on fire and my
recently painted and re-upholstered car was getting very ugly very fast.
The fire was put out and I still have the car, but I will never forget that
day.
Any fool can learn from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from other
people¹s mistakes.  Set the float drop.  Yes it is important.
Dave.