<VV> Float drop question

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jul 24 21:38:14 EDT 2008

I posed the question -- "Why is the float drop important?" --
yesterday because I was helping a fellow Group Corvair member swap
the carbs on his car to a pair that supposedly had been
rebuilt.  When we installed them, the car could barely be started,
let alone run well.  We'd bench checked the external adjustments, but
"assumed" the internals were ok.

In an effort to figure out what was going wrong, I pulled the top on
one of the carbs and checked the float height -- both the height and
drop were wrong.  The float was set too high by a bit over 3/16"
(hence it was flooding) and the drop was 2 1/2" vs the book 1
1/2".  I understood the float height issue and flooding, but was
curious as to why there was even a spec on float drop.

(No, the rebuild was NOT done by any of the national vendors; there
were done locally.)

Thanks for the responses.

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair