<VV> Fw: Re: Float drop question

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Jul 25 07:46:45 EDT 2008

Subject: Re: <VV> Float drop question

Years before the Corvair, float drop was expressed as a minimum
dimension.  I still have and use, in a non-Corvair application, a
carb from 1942 that has no way to set a limit on the float drop.

The bottom of the fuel bowl will limit the drop long before the
needle can cock or drop out when installed.  Should the gas level
drop so far down that the float hits the bottom of the bowl the engine
would be out of gas and not running so it could lay there for years
and not wear a hole in the float.

On assembly of a fresh Corvair carb a float drop of 1 1/4, 1 1/2, or
2 1/2 inches will be greater than the depth of the bowl so no matter
what drop is set the carb design will not allow the float to drop to
the maximum.  The float drop is set to retain the needle valve and
allow production assembly of the carb in an upright position.
Everyone can rest easy even knowing that the left and right carbs
have a different float drop ... at least we do not have to tie a string
around the carb top and float assembly to put them back together
when the carb base is still on the engine like they did in the 'good
ole days.'  More than one old mechanic has had to loosen the top
cover screws when he forgot to remove the string :-)
Ken P