<VV> VirtualVairs presentation

K. Michael Kost vairmike at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 2 12:52:19 EDT 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Dennis PLEAU <ddpleau at msn.com>
To: Craig Nicol <nicolcs at aol.com>; virtualvairs at corvair.org; mvjacobi at comcast.net
Sent: Sunday, June 1, 2008 10:06:20 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> VirtualVairs presentation

Digest mode isn't very popular.  I dropped it the second I was no longer VV chair.  When I was VV chair, I subscribed because I needed to make sure everything was working properly.  I read the individual posts an did a quick check on the digest to make sure it was working.  I still read the individual posts today, but since I'm not in charge, I'm really quick on the delete key.  Off topic, not interesting, no reason to waste my time reading.

I was a member of the Corvair forum from about the time Dick started it for a couple of years.  I don't like the pull concept at all.  I like the push concept of the VV's and Fastvairs.  I don't visit any pull concept lists for any of my hobbies, but do receive many push lists.  Some people like chocolate ice cream and others like vanilla.  I like the VV list and don't like the Corvair Center at all.

Dennis

I fully agree with Dennis on my dislike of the "Pull" concept in maillists/forums. I have a group of professional maillists which converted to pull type forums and the usefullness of them went down drastically. With the rush type of maillists I (and others on the list) would answer questions fairly quickly and you would get several answers. The only problem comes when questions are answered privately and others don't get to see the answers. Since these other lists have converted to a pull type of forum I now get my "mail" in a digest format (otherwise I would seldom see it) and must make much more of a special effort to reply and replys in general have gone down significantly. I have asked a number of questions which have never been answered. If VV switches to a pull type forum I do not expect to stay around.

Mike Kost
SMCC
Long time VV member