<VV> jet coatings

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Mon Jun 2 14:39:47 EDT 2008

What has hapened is that they seems to coat too well.  When installed on the
car  a 65  Monza  110  4 speed  with a CHT gugage, they seem to cool very
well, my temp stays wasy down below  250.  But if I get up to speed, say 70
and hold it there, my temp climbs way up.  What  I have deduced is that the
logs now do not radiate enough heat to cause the bellows to open, whaich
accounts for the temp climb.  As the heat gets bvery high the bellows open,
the temp drops and the bellows close then causing the temp to climb again.

  I had the logs coated on the outside, the intent was to keep the heat
inside the log and push it out through the exhaust.  It apparently does that
so well, not enough heat is there to open the bellows.

  Bob Bauer

I don't know if that assessment makes sense.  If memory serves, there is a
shield to block radiation from the manifold.  I would think most of the heat
transfer to the bellows is normally by convection.  If there is indeed a
shield between the bellows and manifold, removing it and trying another run
might tell you if the theory correct.  My first guess would be a measurement
problem.  Have you actually observed the thermostat behavior or are you
deducing it from watching the CHT gauge?  Binding in the thermostat linkage?
Hmmmmm.

Steve