<VV> PG

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Mon Jun 2 20:56:54 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/2/2008 5:36:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jacesana1 at cox.net writes:

I have a pg in my Vair and want to know how many times this is supposed  to
shift. It shifts once at about 5-8 mph and that is the only shift. I would
suspect that it has another gear to go into for highway or higher speeds. If  so
what could be the culprit. Is it the modulator? Thanks. Jay

Welcome to V V  and the world of Corvairs!   Tell us where  you are at and
check _www.corvair.org_ (http://www.corvair.org)  for a chapter near  you!   If
none nearby... at least join CORSA  and get  The  Beginners Manual..

If that's not an option... get  "The Classic Corvair" by Bob Helt of  Las
Vegas, NV  _bobhelt at aol.com_ (mailto:bobhelt at aol.com)

To answer your question:

PG's are just like all other small 1960's cars... 2 speed!   If  you have
been driving a later model car for years... you will have to get used  to no
Overdrive!  Normal RPM for the Corvair at 60 miles per hour is  approx. 3,000 rpm!
 They can  run 80 mph all day long though.

Your "early shift"  is a normal problem when someone adjusts  ..without
knowing what they are doing.

PG's only have 1  rod...  kickdowm / upshift regulation and  Accelerator
linkage to the carbs.

If you Floor the accelerator.. does it stay in LOW  longer? [ SB  45-48 mph
for WOT  upshift]
 If it does:

>From the rear of your engine, on the left side....you'll see a 3/8"
rod...with Spring

Remove this  from the linkage and unscrew [ towards YOU] the  threaded swivel
2-3  turns...

Reconnect and test drive

Hopes this helps!  The PG  is a great trans for around town and  casual
driving.

Matt  Nall
All Vairs!
_http://members.aol.com/patiomatt_ (http://members.aol.com/patiomatt)
somewhere  between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay.  OR.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.