<VV> Pinion Bearings

John David Thomson jdavethomson at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 3 00:35:24 EDT 2008

So as a followup to the bearing numbering, and being a Mechanical Engineer, I went to the Timken site and checked out the data they had.  I then went out and used my caliper to check the actual dimensions on the existing unit and they were the same.  Looks like the "A" really doesn't mean anything other than perhaps a GM of Canada Chevy designation (take off "EH").  The dimensions exactly match Timkens M88048.  That means my GM of Canada Parts Catalog 691R "revised" edition for the 60-69 Corvair which has the "A" designation is calling for something that is not quite the industrial standard, EH!.

>From another site I found from one of this VV site members I found the following:

TIMKEN Part # M88048 {description}
Cone; Rear Axle,Outer; 8.875" R.G.
Cone; Rear Axle,Outer; 8.5" R.G.;1st Design
Cone; Rear Axle,Outer; 8.875" R.G.;Limited Slip
TIMKEN Part # M88048A
Cone; Rear Axle,Outer; 8.875" R.G.
Cone; Rear Axle,Outer; 8.5" R.G.;1st Design
Cone; Rear Axle,Outer; 8.875" R.G.;Limited Slip

They look pretty close in dimensions, EH!