<VV> Brake problem fixed and new brakes

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Jun 3 23:08:22 EDT 2008

Yes, when the drum is larger than the specification calls for, the
circumference of the drum is larger than the circumference of the shoes
so unless you beat the shoes into a new shape, they will only touch the
drum in the center of their arc. I once worked on a 67 VW that had a WAY
oversized front drum. The shoes showed contact of only two inches, and
of course they were worn to the metal. This is a one year only front
drum assembly, but I did find a replacement at the time.

This is why (and I do expect to start another early/late, hot/cold
argument) I never turn a drum unless there is an obvious problem
(grooves, out of round, etc). Why throw out good metal when the surface
is fine? Sure, Corvair drums are easy to come by NOW, but other cars I
have are a lot harder to find parts for.

Frank DuVal