<VV> Air-cooled V engines (very little Corvair) - was: v-style corvair engine

P.H. Raker n556p at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 09:14:18 EDT 2008

YES!!  There are lots of V-configuration air-cooled engines.  While at Continental Motors in the early 80s, I worked on very large (1790 c.i.) air-cooled diesel engines that were V-12s.  Air flow was in the sides, through oil coolers, through the cylinders, and up & out through the V.  There were 2 large axial-flow fans mounted in the V, in a configuration somewhat similar to a 'Vair, but gear & shaft-driven and with no radial flow.  The ehgines produced anywhere from 750  to 1,200 hp.
     Weight and CG location were not overriding concerns (reliability was) as the application for those engines was military armored vehicles, especially tanks.

Phil Raker
'65 Corsa Cpe - 140/4
'63 Greenbrier - 110/4